Sunday, September 18, 2016

Bonus: A Big Country

Welcome to my first "bonus" post. A "bonus" post is a post where I already have another unrelated blogpost somewhere on that day.

This is a fantasy merger of the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and Jamaica. I've simply taken the vote from each country and plugged it into a proportional representation calculator. I've presumed 723 seats. Why 723? Well I've used it before. Why did I use it before? Because I used it before that. Why did I use it the first time? I sort of forget; but I did do some math showing that it's divisible by this and added that with another thing, and so forth. In short, I had a good reason for picking 723, I just forget what that reason was, and I've been using 723 for a "big legislature" for so long, that I don't really see a good reason to change it.

Anyway, here are the results:


As you can see on the left, things are a bit of a mess. On the right, however, we can divide things into groupings. you may be wondering about some of these, like why Labour from Jamaica is in with the Conservatives, but I can assure you that these groupings do make ideological sense.

The only grouping that makes sense for a majority is a combination of the Conservatives and the Liberals.

Regardless, I thought it might be interesting to compare popular support of parties between different countries.


No comments:

Post a Comment